One of my personal favourites. Lovely smoky flavour, small number of ingredients and it takes about 20 minutes to prepare. If you want a low-carb, low-calorie alternative, just subtract the potatoes from the recipe. It's quite healthy too, as cabbage is very rich in vitamins and has almost no calories. And it tastes soooooo good :)
- 400g potatoes, roughly chopped up
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 litres of vegetable or chicken stock (or smoked bacon stock, if you can get your hands on one)
- 200g savoy cabbage, chopped up roughly
- 225g chorizo sausage, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of hot paprika powder
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil (can be chilli infused)
- Put the olive oil, chorizo and onions in a pan and fry until the onions are glossy and the oil is infused with the chorizo flavour and turns red.
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of salty water until they're al dente and drain them. We'll be cooking them further in a moment.
- Place the cabbage in a pot with stock and potatoes. Add the chorizo and onion - together with all the oil from the pan - and cook until the cabbage is soft (5-10 minutes).
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika to taste. Simmer a little while longer if the potatoes are still a bit hard.
- Pour into bowls, and if you're feeling adventurous, add a splash of smoked chipotle tabasco.