Such an unbelievably simple recipe and yet the result is absolutely delicious :) And one of your 5-a-day! ;)
700g frozen cherries (I used 2 x 350g boxes of Asda's frozen Morello Cherries, but you can use any mixture of berries for this recipe - strawberries, raspberries and blueberries work quite well, too.)
1 tsp of almond or vanilla extract (or a bit of both)
3 tbsp of plain flour
about 100g of sugar or honey (or to taste)
300g of plain flour
175g of sugar
200g of unsalted butter (cubed and at room temperature)
- Place the cherries in a cake tin. Add enough sugar to lightly coat the cherries, the almond extract and the flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the cherries in the oven for about 3 minutes, or until they're completely defrosted and warm. Take them out of the oven and give them a stir and a taste. If you want them a bit sweeter, add more sugar (but keep in mind that the crumble will be very sweet!). If there is too much juice at the bottom, add another spoon of flour.
- For the crumble, place the flour, sugar and butter in a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until you get the texture of bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the cherries and return to the oven for another 40-45 minutes, or until the crumble is nice and golden.
- You could serve it with some cream or custard, but frankly I think it's so good it's best eaten on it's own.