Really easy and fun to make, regardless of age. :)
You will need:
- 2 tbsp of starch
- 500ml + 1/2 glass water
- cheese cloth (large enough to make 1 ghost)
- a ball
- a vase/boottle/tall glass for the body (I used a cocktail shaker)
- 2 small, round bits of black felt or fabric (for the eyes)
- glue (any type should do - I used a simple glue stick)
- Bring 500ml of water to boil.
- In the meantime, mix the starch witch 1/2 glass of cold water. Add to the boiling water and mix until it thickens. Once it starts to thicken, take it off the heat.
- Leave it to cool until it's safe to touch and dip your cheese cloth in it. Squeeze out any excess.
- Using the ball for head, the wire for arms and the bottle for body, construct a mould for your ghost. Place it on a flat, washable surface.
- Spread out the cheese cloth and place it over the ghost mould (see below).
- Allow it to dry overnight, then lift the cheese cloth up - this will take a bit of work as it will likely be stuck to the surface. Don't worry though, you don't have to be too gentle with it. It should still keep its form.
- Glue the eyes onto the face. And there you go! You've got your very own ghost. :)
Once Halloween is over, if you want to get rid of your ghost you can simply put it under warm running water and wash out the starch to re-use the cloth next year.
Starch should be easily available in any Polish shop or Polish section in a supermarket, but if you can't get your hands on it you can use fabric stiffener instead, which should be available in any DIY shop.