Lovely cake with meringue and chocolate shavings topping. The base of this recipe is one of the most useful things to have in your cook book. It can be stuffed with anything - apples, cherries, rhubarb, peanut butter... Whatever takes your fancy.
- 3 glasses of plain flour
- 250g of margarine
- 1.5 glass of sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tspn of baking powder
- 1 tbs of cocoa
- 1kg of apples
- 1 tsp of almond extract
1. Mix flour, baking powder, 0.5 glass of sugar, margarine and 1 yolk together. This will be your cake mix.
2. roll out 2/3 of the cake mix on the bottom of a cake pan lined with baking paper.
3. Split the remaining third of the cake mix into two parts. Add cocoa to one of the parts. Place both of them in the freezer for half an hour.
4. Blend the apples into a pulp and add almond extract. Place the apples on the cake base you rolled out in the tin earlier. Take the part of cake mix without the cocoa from the freeser and grate it over the apples on a cheese grater.
5. Whisk the egg whites with the remaining glass of sugar until you get stiff peaks. Spread them over the cake.
6. Take the remaining part of the cake mix with cocoa from the freezer and grate it on a cheese grater over the top.
7. Bake at 170°C for around 50 minutes.