Perfect for breakfast ;) It’s guaranteed to brighten up your day, but I wouldn't drive to work after a couple of slices!
- 150g sugar
- 150g butter or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- Prune jam (you can use strawberry if you can't find prune)
- 50(ish...) ml of rum
- Mix the sugar with butter and whisk until you get a very fluffy and pale creamy texture.
- Whisk the eggs in a mug with a fork and then add them gradually to the mixture with 1 spoonful of flour each time.
- Add baking powder to the mixture and fold it in gently.
- Dissolve the coffee in boiling water and add to the mixture still folding. Pour into a cake tin lined with baking paper and bake for 30 minuted at 160 degrees.
- Once it's ready, take it out of the oven and set it aside to cool.
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Mix the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve the coffee in boiling water and add it to the butter and icing sugar. Be careful not to add too much liquid as the icing will become too runny.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice it into two halves and using a teaspoon sprinkle the rum equally over the two halves.
- On the bottom half, spread a thin layer of prune jam.
- Place the top half on top of the bottom one and cover the whole cake with icing.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Prepare an oven tray lined with grease-proof paper.
- Mix the sugar with cinnamon and place it in a frying pan.
- Put the pan on medium heat and leave it until all the butter melts. Do not stir it no matter how tempted you may be, because it will clump up.
- Once the sugar is melted, pour it out onto the baking tray evenly to create a large, thin sheet.
- Leave it to cool for a few minuted and once it's completely hardened, whack it with a blunt object to break it up into pieces.
- Use these pieces to decorate your cake. Go wild! :)