By far and undeniably the best dessert I ever made. The Mascarpone-Ricotta cream is so light, flavourful and delicious it's hard to stop eating it once you've tried it. Strawberries and black pepper are one of these combinations that sound wrong, but couldn't be any more right - like chocolate and salt. Pepper brings out the flavour in the strawberries and a subtle hint of balsamic vinegar adds that extra little bit of freshness.
- 300ml of whipping cream
- 450g of ricotta cheese
- 220-250g of mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 glass of sugar
- zest of one lemon
- Beat the cream until you get stiff peaks.
- Using a mixer, combine the mascarpone, ricotta, sugar and lemon zest until you get a smooth, creamy texture.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with the cheese so that it's fully combined, but be careful not to mix it too much, so that you don't lose too much of the fluffiness.
Strawberry and Black Pepper Compote:
- 350g of fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of water
- A few drops of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp of coarsely bround black pepper
- Cut the strawberries roughly into halves or quarters and place them in a pot with the sugar, black pepper and water.
- Place on low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until all sugar is dissolved. Cover and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Let it cool and add in the balsamic vinegar.
I layer the cream with the strawberry compote and sprinkle a little bit of dark chocolate shavings on top. Bon appetit! :)