Pages

11 March 2013

Halloween Pasta


Dubbed the Cthulhu Stew :) A seafood and tomato sauce with squid ink pasta and green pasta, perfect for Halloween.



Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion , chopped
  • 1 garlic clove , chopped
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • A can of chopped tomatoes
  • 1l chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
  • A mix pack of seafood, could be either fresh or defrosted  I got a selection of bits and bobs from the local fishmonger (few octopi, whole tiger prawns, mussels and squid rings)
  • Tagliatelle Verdi (green) is easy to pick up in any supermarket. The squid ink pasta is much more tricky to come by. If you can't find any, but find a sachet of squid ink, you can always make the pasta from scratch and add the squid ink to make it black - there are plenty of recipes online. Lucky for me, I found the squid ink pasta at Baxter's in Edinburgh for a reasonable price, but Harvey Nichols have a selection as well.

  1. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, then cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 mins until soft. Add the paprika, tomatoes and stock, then bring to the boil.
  2. Stir in the seafood, cook for 3 mins more until it's all heated through.
  3. If you're adding octopi like me, you may need to simmer them in salty water for around an hour beforehand.
  4. boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and serve with "eyeballs" :)

For the eyeballs: I used cherry tomatoes, which I halved and emptied the 'insides', and put mozzarella pearls in them. I made the pupils from fresh basil leaves (I cut out circles with a straw).

I also sliced up a carrot and boiled for a couple of minutes, and carved "pumpkins" out of the slices.




No comments:

Post a Comment