Dubbed the Cthulhu Stew :) A seafood and tomato sauce with squid ink pasta and green pasta, perfect for Halloween.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- A can of chopped tomatoes
- 1l chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
- A mix pack of seafood, could be either fresh or defrosted I got a selection of bits and bobs from the local fishmonger (few octopi, whole tiger prawns, mussels and squid rings)
- Tagliatelle Verdi (green) is easy to pick up in any supermarket. The squid ink pasta is much more tricky to come by. If you can't find any, but find a sachet of squid ink, you can always make the pasta from scratch and add the squid ink to make it black - there are plenty of recipes online. Lucky for me, I found the squid ink pasta at Baxter's in Edinburgh for a reasonable price, but Harvey Nichols have a selection as well.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, then cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 mins until soft. Add the paprika, tomatoes and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Stir in the seafood, cook for 3 mins more until it's all heated through.
- If you're adding octopi like me, you may need to simmer them in salty water for around an hour beforehand.
- boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packet and serve with "eyeballs" :)
For the eyeballs: I used cherry tomatoes, which I halved and emptied the 'insides', and put mozzarella pearls in them. I made the pupils from fresh basil leaves (I cut out circles with a straw).
I also sliced up a carrot and boiled for a couple of minutes, and carved "pumpkins" out of the slices.