Lovely, thick, gooey, sweet pie - I do recommend :)
- 2.5 cups of plain flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar
- 16 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6-7 tbsp of ice cold water
- 1 egg and 2 tbsp of milk (for glazing)
1. Rub the butter, flour, salt, and sugar together until it resembles rough breadcrumbs, with many butter pieces the size of peas. Add water and form the mixture into a ball adding a little more water if necessary. Chill for 20 minutes.
- 6 cups of fresh (or frozen) blueberries, rinsed and stems removed (if using frozen, defrost and drain first)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain flour or potato starch flour (for thickening)
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted), cut into small pieces
1. Roll out half of the pastry to a 1/4cm-thick circle, to fit your pie dish. Line the pie dish with it and trim the (leave about 1cm around the edges). Chill for about 30 minutes.
2. Gently mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Transfer them to the chilled bottom crust of the pie pan. Dot with butter pieces. Roll out remaining dough to the same size and thickness as the first. Place on top of the berry filling. Tuck the top dough over and under the edge of the bottom dough, and crimp the edges with your fingers. Transfer the pie to the refrigerator to chill until the dough is firm, for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 220°C.
3. Whisk egg and milk together to make an egg wash.
4. Remove the unbaked pie from refrigerator. Brush the top with egg wash. Make a couple of cuts in the crust to release steam. Bake for around 20 min. Reduce heat to 180°C and bake for another 30 to 40 minutes or until juices are bubbling and have thickened. Transfer to a cooling rack.